Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen
Alt 15.03.2016, 15:40   #335  
Peter L. Opmann
Mitglied

Benutzerbild von Peter L. Opmann

Bin etwas spät dran, aber ich habe mich eben mal nach "Hugo Hercules" umgesehen. Es ist offenbar Alan Moore, der ihn als ersten Superhelden ansieht:

Zitat:
Kevin found an American newspaper strip from, I think, 1902, that was entitled Hugo Hercules, and this is a very very big, very very strong man. I think it lasted for six or seven episodes – it wasn’t very long-lived. But, yeah, the first American superhero, I think, pretty much. I can’t imagine any earlier than that. Certainly earlier than Hugo Danner in Gladiator, a long while earlier than Superman. So, yeah, I had a look at some of these early strips, which generally don’t have much in the way of dialogue balloons, but put most of the dialogue into captions under the panels, and from that, in the transcriptions of whatever the accent was supposed to be that Hugo Hercules was speaking in, I finally figured out that it was probably a racist and ill-informed transliteration of an Irish accent. It could just as easily have been Polish, or possibly Trinidadian, but I think probably it was meant to be Irish. So, we’ve kind of worked out, yeah, all right, if this Hugo Hercules, so-called, was Irish, what might be his backstory.
Wenn man sich die Comicbeispiele im Internet ansieht, ist Hugo Hercules ein Typ, der Frauen die Tür aufhält. Das wird in einer Weise variiert, die seinen Bärenkräften entspricht. So stemmt er ein Auto in die Höhe (erinnert natürlich an Superman), damit der Fahrer im ersten Stock eines Hauses seine Freundin küssen kann. Ich denke, es wird nicht erklärt, woher Hugo seine Kraft hat. Und er kämpft wohl auch nicht gegen Bösewichter oder das Böse. Zudem fehlt ihm das Abenteurertum. Er ist vielleicht die erste superstarke Figur in den Comics, aber - auch in meinen Augen - kein Superheld.
Peter L. Opmann ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten