Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen
Alt 05.12.2014, 14:40   #245  
Servalan
Moderatorin Internationale Comics

Benutzerbild von Servalan

Blog-Einträge: 3
Carla Jablonski, Autorin und Herausgeberin, die sich auf Bücher für Jugendliche und junge Erwachsene spezialisiert hat. Dazu heißt es auf ihrer Homepage:
Zitat:
Carla Jablonski is the author and editor of dozens of best-selling books for middle-grade and young adult readers. "I kind of do it all -- adaptations, branching books (Choose Your Own Adventure style), serious novels for teenagers, fantasy, and now, graphic novels."
Her most recent book, Resistance, the first of a graphic novel trilogy (illustrated by Leland Purvis) is A SYDNEY TAYLOR SILVER MEDAL winner. Book 2 in the series, Defiance, will be available in July.
Anne Opotowsky, mehrfach preisgekrönte Autorin von Dokumentarfilmen, Büchern und Spielfilmen. Zusammen mit der Zeichnerin Aya Morton aus Hongkong entsteht die Comic-Trilogie The Walled City, deren erster Band Book One: His Dream of Skyland 2014 bei Gestalt Comics erschienen ist.
Zitat:
Buried today beneath a park in Hong Kong sleeps Kowloon Walled City, once home to the poor, the criminal, the innocent and the secretive, no bigger than a few city blocks and flourishing outside all conventions and laws. For the Emmy Award-winning American writer of books, films and documentaries, Anne Opotowsky, the vanished Walled City struck deep emotional chords. “It created incredible echoes in all I knew about human history. I see The Walled City in Imperialism, Orientalism, in Iraq and Afghanistan, in Africa, the American South and American West. The city, with its story, its people, their need to find a place, which though utterly anarchic, was home, became a powerful muse.” (...)
In the first volume set during the Twenties, His Dream of the Skyland, an eager lad named Song Lu strives towards adulthood, tasting freedom, sex and opportunity. While his post office job delivering dead letters sends him on his bike into the Walled City’s labyrinth of mysteries and intrigues, life for his family and friends only gets more complicated. “I wanted to tell a story that was free of Western Orientalism, of accepted views on how things happened, and who did what and why. In flipping history on its ear, I also wanted to have the freedom to write about people whose lives were just as beautiful and yet were not often told. So it was a blank canvas: I could write tales that were unknown to the characters, the storyteller and to the listener.”
As demonstrated in the new tangential Strip specially commissioned by ArtReview magazine, ‘Song’s Dreams’ (scroll down and read below), Skyland illustrator Aya Morton‘s sinuous, calligraphic brushlines and luminescent washes of colour sweep up the reader in the heady fervour of the place and period. Her frameless, soft-edged panels melt their boundaries, and her idiosyncratic and sometimes vertiginous shifts in perspective mean that no building or wall can contain or confine our vision. Ravishing and remarkable, Opotowsky and Morton’s 300-page volume has recently been released in Europe by Australian publishers Gestalt.

Geändert von Servalan (05.12.2014 um 17:03 Uhr)
Servalan ist gerade online   Mit Zitat antworten