Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen
Alt 25.01.2015, 13:51   #19  
Maxithecat
Moderator Marvel

Benutzerbild von Maxithecat

Hier noch einmal der "Vorlauftext" zu den oben eingestellten Bildern.

Zitat:
Zitat von Barry
The Silver Age was a wonderful time for me. BUT, my brother and I had a very small room and I couldn’t keep everything. In looking back, I am surprised that I was able to keep anything! I had read twice as many DC comics as Marvels, DC just had more titles. And yes I read the Dell/Westerns/Gold keys, Archies, and many others when available.

I was growing up at the time and the Marvels were growing with me. Peter Parker graduated H.S and was going to college and had dated several girls, Sue and Reed got married and had a child, and the Hulk’s identity was revealed to the world. Nothing like that was happening at DC, there was no character development then. The name of her comic was “Superman’s Girlfriend, Lois Lane” but he never took out on a date!!! Over dinner, a decade ago, I got to speak to Julius Schwartz and Carmine Infantino over this. I’ll post about that.

My book started as a thank you note to Stan when I had a long stay in a hospital . I wrote him a funny poem, "The Rhyme of the Sub-Mariner" and he sent me a big stack of comics!!!! I wanted to write an unusual Thank You Note!!! Well, it took me 40 years!!!!!!

But if I read more DC’s than Marvel why a Marvel book? The answer for me simple: I was there in the beginning. This was not true for DC. Before comic stores and reprints these stories were unattainable. How could I write about Superman who started in 1938? Or Batman? Or Wonder Woman? Or Congo Bill? Even now, there are few reprints from the 1950s, (a lot from the 1940s and 1960s) I just didn’t have the history of DC.

But I was there at the beginning for Marvel, I had it all. Technically, DC incorporated their Golden Age heroes into the Silver Ager (Flash of Two Worlds and Crisis) and I knew little about the originals. Marvel treated the Torch, Capt. America and Namor as NEW characters and did not carry over their previous continuity.

So, I sent Stan a printout of the book and we have emailed since. He said, “I so glad sent you those comics!” But then he also sent me a couple of letters.
Maxithecat ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten